Many health administration jobs deal with the effective functioning and operations of various health care organizations, including clinics, doctors’ offices and hospitals. The professionals who lead these organizations are leaders of all of these types of institutions. They are responsible for services, budgets, staff, programs, facilities and many other aspects of management.
This is why many health administration professionals decide to get a dual, online Master of Administration and Master of Health Administration. By earning these degrees together, the health administration professional obtains the business management training and also the specific health administration skills that are unique to many health care organizations.
These professionals also opt for the joint MBA/MHA degree because the health care field is growing so quickly. The Bureau of Labor Statistics tells us that medical and health service manager employment will grow by an impressive 22% by 2020. This is much faster than average when compared with other careers.
Also, BLS also finds that the median salary for these managers is a healthy $84,270. You can be assured that with a dual MBA/MHA online degree, you will have the skills and knowledge to be in high demand in the booming field of health care management.
Online Program Options
Some of the most recommended university programs in this field include:
- Online Health Care Administration – MBA – (Editor’s Pick) – Northcentral University – Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral. The focus of the MBA degree with a specialization in Health Care Administration is to help you develop essential managerial knowledge and skills in financial management, legal and ethical issues of health care, and to examine and develop health care policies.
- Online MBA in Healthcare – (Editor’s Pick) – The George Washington University Online – The George Washington University online Healthcare MBA is immersed in values, rigorous in theory, and experiential in practice and is based on the concepts of ethics, global business, and leadership. Designed for working professionals, the GW Healthcare MBA presents effective business and management strategies and applies them to healthcare environments, connecting these new concepts with your existing experience. The curriculum consists of 27 core courses with the remaining 6 courses reserved for elective courses.
- Online MBA in Healthcare Practice Management Concentration – (Editor’s Pick) – Maryville University – Maryville was Founded in 1872 as a four-year, private university located in west St. Louis County. The MBA is a key driver and today’s unspoken prerequisite for top administrative positions in the healthcare industry. Study advanced topics in healthcare industry and practice management, healthcare practice management operations, medical law, ethics, risk management, and quality and population health management.
- Online Executive Master of Health Administration – (Editor’s Pick) – University of Southern California – One of the world’s leading private research institutions, the USC was founded in 1880. The Executive Master of Health Administration (EMHA) online program features a solution-driven curriculum focused on themes that directly relate to accountability and administration of health service organizations. The program is specifically and uniquely designed to address the academic and leadership imperatives that can enable highly talented midcareer healthcare professionals to excel as executives.
- Master of Health Administration/Master of Business Administration – Saint Louis University – This dual degree program is partially online, and you will have the opportunity to also participate in a study abroad component. This accredited program provides a solid blend of business and healthcare instruction. Take classes in operations management, supply chain management, marketing strategy, statistics, health care organization, and global business integration.
- Master of Business Administration/Master of Health Administration – Georgia State University – This was one of the first dual MBA/MHA degrees offered in the US. You can earn this dual degree partially online while you continue to work full time. You can finish both degrees in three years, and as many as seven years.
- Master of Business Administration/Master of Health Administration – Pfeiffer University – This online joint degree program is a total of 54 credit hours that can be completed in approximately 2.5 years. Required classes include (MBA) Organizational Communication, Quantitative Decision Making, Managerial Accounting; (MHA) Contemporary Health Administration, Health Services Marketing, Health Economics, Health Services Information Management and Comparative International Health.
- Master of Business Administration/Master of Health Administration – Texas Woman’s University – Students in the MHA program at TWU have the opportunity to earn their MBA through the Cameron School of Business at the University of St. Thomas. You need to complete your MHA degree in its near entirety, and then apply separately to the MBA program to the online MBA program at St. Thomas.
- Master of Health Administration/Master of Business Administration – Weber State University – This university allows you to complete both of these program simultaneously in about ½ the time it would take to complete both degree programs separately. Some of the required MBA classes include Managerial Economics, Financial and Managerial Accounting, and Legal and Regulatory Environment of Business. Required MHA classes include Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Healthcare Finance and Managing Health Information.
- Master of Health Administration/Master of Business Administration – University of Houston-Clear Lake – This online MHA/MBA requires a total of 57 credit hours to complete. You will need to take 24 hours of MBA classes, and 30 hours of MHA classes. You also must complete a seven hour practicum to earn both degrees in about 2.5 years.
If you are interested in an exciting business career in health administration, choosing one of these strong dual degree programs could be a great decision.