The MBA in General Business is usually referred to as just an MBA. However, as more and more specializations become available within the MBA degree programs, some have started to add the “General Business” title at the end of the degree program. These degrees are offered by business schools all over the world and are highly prestigious.
What We Do
MBA degree holders tend to take up positions of senior management in all kinds of different organizations. This includes for-profit businesses, government organizations, educational establishments, not-for-profit companies and charities. They can get to work in any industry as well, from construction to finance. It is a very broad degree that allows for a variety of careers. Generally, however, the role of those with an MBA degree in General Business is to manage all operations within a business. As the business grows, they may start to hold responsibility for a single department rather than the entire organization, and it is for this reason that there are now so many specializations within the MBA degree program.
Why It’s Hot
The Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) conducted a survey in 2008 that showed students who completed an MBA would also experience a 39% increase in salary. This means that an MBA is a very wise investment, since 70% of students are also able to receive financial aid for it. A rapid return on investment can be achieved, in other words.
Furthermore, the survey showed that 90% of graduates felt that they had receive excellent value for money. This was particularly true for those who completed the degree online. It seems, therefore, that you will gain a lot of personal and professional satisfaction out of obtaining this degree.
The MBA in General Business is particularly interesting for women. The GMAT exam, which is an examination that shows readiness to enter business school, was completed by 104,880 women in 2009. This was the first time that more than 100,000 women took part in it. Additionally, over half of all GMAT participants came from different countries.
Today, many schools are moving away from such standardized tests and are relying on other methods to screen candidates, such as work experience. See our featured list of some of the most affordable and best online MBA programs without the GMAT or GRE.
In almost all cases, those with an MBA degree will work in an office. They are responsible for the management and administration of a business, which is in the main a paper-based task. However, they will also often have to meet with external suppliers and contacts, as well as manage a number of staff members. As a result, someone with an MBA is likely to spend quite some time away from the desk working with those at the grass roots level.
How to Do It
In order to obtain an MBA, you will first need to complete a bachelor’s degree, which takes four years to accomplish. With an MBA in General Business, your bachelor’s major is not overly relevant. However, admissions to MBA programs are very competitive. Hence, besides doing well on your GMAT exam, you will generally also be expected to have completed a number of courses, such as statistics and algebra, at the undergraduate level. Furthermore, you will usually have to submit an essay, personal statement and resume. It is recommended, therefore, that you apply to a number of different schools in order to increase your chances of being admitted.
Studying towards an MBA in General Business can be done online or on campus. One particular on campus option you may want to consider is the MBA program offered by Carnegie Mellon University. Indeed, this program was ranked best in the country by the most recent U.S. News & World Report 2021. This program is designed to change lives and organizations and, thereby, change the world.<!- mfunc feat_school ->
MBA in General Business Online
Most people who are considering studying towards an MBA are already employed. This is one of the many reasons why they would prefer to study online. Additionally, studying online means that you can enroll with the university of your choice, whether that university is around the corner from you or on the other side of the world. Online options are convenient and, in many cases, more affordable
Some of the many options now available for online MBAs in general business include:
Southern New Hampshire University
The general business MBA from Southern New Hampshire University will give you the skills and knowledge to reshape companies, create more sustainability in small businesses and take the place you deserve in the business management world as a leader.
Throughout this two year MBA program in general business, you will be learning from highly experienced professors with ample business experience. Also, you will have the opportunity to interact online with a very diverse student body, and this will help you to improve your communication skills.
Students also will focus on the more competitive and global business environment, and will learn how to build their own business plan. This will provide you with the skills in business management that you need to earn high level management positions in any industry.
SNHU is known to provide excellent support to its online MBA students. You will find the help you need to succeed in your MBA program whether you want to enhance your ability to be promoted in your business career, or if you want to switch into a new business related field. Some students also attend this MBA program to learn the skills they need to start their own businesses.
Required courses in this online MBA in general business are:
- Mathematics and Statistics for Business
- Economics for Business
- Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Business law
- Human Behavior in Organizations
- Leading in an Organization
- Finance, Economics and Decision Making
- Operations Management and Technology
University of North Carolina
The University of North Carolina’s Kenan-Flagler Business School is one of the top online MBAs in the US, and is regularly ranked as a top online MBA by US News and World Report. Students have the opportunity to learn from some of the most knowledgeable and experienced business professors in the world, and also get to network with highly accomplished business leaders.
The general business MBA courses offered in this two year online program are both recorded and live. Each week, students will meet for one or two live courses where they learn and collaborate together. Classes in the online MBA program at UNC are never more than 15:1 student to professor ratio.
This is a 66 credit hour general MBA program that most students complete in 18-36 months. It also features opportunities for global immersions where students are brought together for hands on learning in cities all over the world. These immersions are important for allowing students to network and to learn from international business leaders.
According to the program’s website, 76% of students recently were either promoted or changed jobs while they were in the program. Students enjoyed an average salary increase of 29%, and more than 500 students experienced promotions or job changes since 2011.
Required core courses include:
- Analytical Tools
- Business Communication
- Business Strategy
- Developing Management and Leadership Skills
- Introductory Finance
- Marketing Strategy, Analysis and Development
- Operations Management
- Financial Accounting
University of South Dakota
The University of South Dakota business school was established in 1927 and has been accredited by AACSB International for decades. Students who attend this two year, online degree program can be confident that the MBA they are earning is of high quality and will be highly regarded by employers in business and finance.
This program has been designed to develop innovative business leaders, and to improve their decision making, problem solving, understanding of business roles in society, leadership ability and social responsibility. Students who seek a high quality and affordable MBA should consider this program.
The University of South Dakota general business MBA features 18 hours of foundational courses and 33 hours of additional courses. Students who have taken graduate business classes in the past and have significant business experience may qualify for ‘advanced standing’ admission. This means they would only need to complete the 33 hours of advanced classes.
Some of the required courses are:
- Foundations of Accounting
- Production Operations Management
- Foundations of Economics
- Managerial Finance
- Quantitative Analysis
- Operations Management
- Leadership Development
- Business and Its Environment
- Strategic Management
The University of Scranton
The University of Scranton has a fully online general business MBA that can be earned on a flexible basis. The program is equal in quality and rigor to the MBA program available on campus. The MBA program has been accredited by the AACSB, thus ensuring that the program meets the highest quality standards.
The online MBA program is comprehensive and will boost your leadership and organizational effectiveness through studying high level business courses that will cover some of the most challenging business problems in the world today. Students acquire the skills, knowledge and expertise that they will need to be proactive leaders in all types of business environments. You also will learn the latest in sustainable business practices, how to design optimal delivery systems, and how to build value with modern financial strategies, and how to make the best business decisions with limited information.
Required courses in this accredited MBA program include:
- Responsibility, Sustainability and Justice
- Accounting for Management
- Managerial Economics
- Financial Management
- Organizational Behavior
- Management Information Systems
- Investment Analysis
Pros & Cons
While an MBA is a very prestigious degree, it is not right for everybody. If you are considering enrolling in such a program, you should first consider the associated advantages and disadvantages.
- You get to build interesting networking relationships that could serve you throughout the rest of your professional life.
- You may be headhunted into very interesting professional positions, particularly if you excelled during your studies.
- You have the opportunity to redefine the world of business as a whole, or the organization that you work for.
- You will be ready to take on a high paying job anywhere in the world.
- Not all MBAs are created equally. You will only earn high professional standing if you completed your degree in a valuable specialization, or from a highly recognized school.
- An MBA may be the most knowledgeable degree for business now, it is likely that things will change very soon, as they always do. Hence, there is a chance that you may become obsolete.
- An MBA is a costly degree both in terms of time and money.
- Working hours for MBA degree holders tend to be long and the chance of burnout is high.
- Standford University offers financial aid to their students.
- Indiana University offers various scholarships to their students.
- UT Dallas offers a range of graduate scholarships.
- Thunderbird School of Global Management offers a number of different financial aid options for their students.
- Whitman Syracuse University links students to a number of loans and scholarships.
With an MBA, you can take on a huge variety of different roles for all sorts of different companies and organizations. However, some of the hottest jobs available today include:
- Operations Research Analyst: Using statistics to solve issues in production, logistics, procurement and sales.
- IT Manager: Ensuring the proper operations of an IT system within an organization, including identifying, implementing and maintaining new IT systems.
- Management Analyst: Determining whether the leadership and management within an organization is conducive to the efficiency, productivity and profitability of the business and suggesting and implementing changes.
- Finance Analyst: Holding responsibility for the finances of an organization, coming up with ways to lower costs and increase profitability.
- HR Specialist: Helping a business recruit, train and retain the best talent in the industry. You will also focus on certain elements ,such as succession planning and management of sickness absence.
- Information Security Analyst: Ensuring data is kept securely and addressing any potential issues, including cyber attacks. This is one of the most in demand roles.
Six websites with helpful resources for those working in field relevant to an MBA in General Business